Sunday 21 April 2013




Wooden Spools


A love of vintage wooden spools has driven me a tad bit batty over the last few years.... you see I can't ever seem able to justify the soaring prices that their labels express.
I have watched ebay auction after auction and scoured many antique shops etc. (which resulted in a few purchases of smaller wooden spools)  So I finally set about to make myself some....

At spotlight I purchased round coasters by Kaiserwood. Then over time I accumulated a stash of these cardboard rolls that are found at the end of the roll of bin liner bags. They are a lot stronger and a skinnier than toilet rolls, and I really didn't want to roll all my pretties up on a toilet roll anyways   :)


I have oodles of PVA glue left over from all the kids projects over the years, so I put it to good use and glued the rolls between 2 of the coasters and.....



voilĂ !!


I love my wooden spools, they cost me about $1 each to make, considering the rolls are usually rubbish and the glue is left over. They take about 5 mins to make, while the glue dries and then wind up all the pretties. And now all my trim is easy to see, stored safely and neatly and they look great in the craft room. I guess if I was a patient person I would've painted them up all nice and shabby chic-ley... maybe one day.

Now to make some order in the rest of the craft room!!  :)






1 comment:

  1. I love the vintage spools as well but they are getting more expensive. What a clever idea you have had for making your own. I need to do something like that for my tapes and laces to tidy up the tangled mess they are in now. x

    ReplyDelete